Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Sweet Smell of Christmas

One of my most favorite Christmas books to read every year is The Sweet Smell of Christmas by Patricia M. Scarry. (You should recognize that last name. Her husband, Richard Scarry is one of the all-time GREATS in children's lit. More on him later.) It is illustrated by J.P. Miller, and it is a scratch-and-sniff! Don't you just loooove those? This one tickled me pink as a child, and just looking through it this year made me so nostalgic and so excited for Christmas!

As Christmas approaches, little Bear gets more and more excited with each new scent that fills the air--the minty candy canes, the piney Christmas tree, the chocolaty hot cocoa, the delicious gingerbread cookies... And, of course, you get to (er, um, I mean, your child gets to) scratch and sniff each of these wonderful smells.

I hope you will find this book for your family. For me it brings back so many memories of little girl Christmases--reading it with my mom and then creating those aromas in our very own home!


No comments: